Kevin Hart Stepped Down as the Host of the Oscars, Because He Refused to Apologize for His Old Tweets?

December 7, 2018

Kevin Hart is out as host of the Oscars next year.  Someone dug up homophobic comments he posted on Twitter ten years ago, and Kevin responded by saying it was old news, and that he's matured since then.  The Academy asked him to apologize, so he responded again . . . and said he wouldn't apologize.  He said he's apologized before, and we shouldn't give in to internet trolls who dig up the same old stuff.  A little later, he stepped down, and apologized.  Here's his second response, where he refuses to apologize.

In an accompanying message, the actor/comedian wrote, "Stop looking for reasons to be negative ... Stop searching for reasons to be angry."

"I live to Love. I LOVE EVERYBODY.....ONCE AGAIN EVERYBODY. If you choose to not believe me then that's on you."

The controversial tweets in question were posted between 2009 and 2011. In one, Hart wrote, "Yo if my son comes home & try's 2 play with my daughters doll house I'm going 2 break it over his head & say n my voice 'stop that's gay.'" In another, he calls someone a "fat faced fag."  


HOURS LATER...


Hart wrote:  “I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year’s Oscar’s….this is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists."

The announcement he would be quitting the show came just minutes after he posted a message on Instagram saying Motion Picture Academy officials had asked him to apologize or they would find another host — and he refused to apologize.

Despite that statement, Hart did offer an apology in his later resignation tweet, saying: “I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past.”
 

Hollywood Reporter